The Law Office of Kurt H King

May 7, 2013

SSI For A Disabled Child Is NOT Credited Against Child Support

Filed under: Divorce,Family Law,Paternity,Support,Uncategorized — kurthking @ 5:16 pm
Tags: ,

Previous posts speak of the non-custodial parent receiving a credit against that parent’s child support obligation in the amount of Social Security Disability paid for the child on account of the obligated parent’s disability.  And, that a credit for SS Disability is not granted the obligated parent when SS Disability is paid for the child on account of the CUSTODIAL parent’s disability.

BUT what about when the child is disabled and receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments from Social Security due to the child’s own disability and not that of either parent?

Both the Western and Eastern Districts of the Missouri Court of Appeals rule that the parent paying child support is not entitled to a credit against his or her child support obligation for SSI paid due to the child’s disability.  Lewis v. Dept. of Social Services, 61 S.W.3d 248, 258 (Mo. Ct. W.D. 2001); Malawey v. Malawey, 137 S.W.3d 518, 528 (Mo. Ct. App. E.D. 2004).

The courts reason that SSI paid on the child’s account due to the child’s disability merely supplements in order to defray the extraordinary cost of caring for a child with disability.  Too, such SSI  is paid on account of the child, disconnected from the Social Security account of the parent obligated to pay child support.

So, a credit against child support due to SSI on account of the child’s disability is not happening in Missouri.

Kurt H. King

Law Office of Kurt H. King, 20 E. Franklin, Liberty, Clay County, Missouri 64068


Family Law–Divorce, Modification, Paternity, and Child Custody, Support, Visitation

Personal Injury, Workers’ Compensation, and General Matters

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: