The Law Office of Kurt H King

January 5, 2011

Changing Child Custody or Support by Agreement in Missouri–Get a Court Order!

Filed under: Custody,Family Law,Support — kurthking @ 5:45 pm
Tags: , , , , ,

What if father pays child support and mother brings the children to him and says, “you take care of them–and I don’t want any child support?” What happens if the father stops sending in his child support to the Family Support Payment Center? And, what if mother changes mind 7 months later and takes children back?

The father in this example needs to file to get a court order immediately based on a stipulation/agreement with mother, or otherwise if she won’t sign a stipulation, changing custody and terminating his child support obligation.

If he fails to do so, his child support obligation does NOT stop, he builds up a child support non-payment arrearage, and he lacks the court order to prove that he now has the primary/home/residential custody rights to the children. That let’s the mother in this example walk back in and take the chilren–even claim the back due child support that accrued while the father had the children (she may or may not win on the back support but she puts father out to hire an lawyer and try to get court order that he does not owe the back support).

This happens time and again, often to folks who cannot afford to make a mistake and cannot repay back child support.

Get A Court Order or Beware.

Kurt H. King
Law Office of Kurt H. King
20 E. Franklin
Liberty, Clay County, Missouri 64068

Bankruptcy, Child Custody and Support, Divorce and Modification, Family Law
Personal Injury, Workers’ Compensation

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: